Monsoon arrives in city
- Supreme Court denies bail for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi HC upholds death sentence of four convicts
- US investigators suspect missing Malaysia jetliner flew for hours after losing contact
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
- US court dismisses Devyani Khobragade's indictment in visa fraud case
The wait for the monsoon is over. After pre-monsoon showers for the last few days, Saturday saw heavy rain lashing parts of the city as well as parts of western Maharashtra, heralding the arrival of monsoon in the city.
The outskirts also received light to heavy showers, IMD said.
"Monsoon has advanced to parts of Konkan, Marathwada and south central Maharashtra, covering Mumbai and Pune, on Saturday, a day behind its normal arrival," said a Met official.
"Conditions are favourable for further advance of southwest monsoon over more parts of the Arabian Sea, Maharashtra and Gujarat, including parts of Konkan, central Maharashtra, Marathwada and Vidarbha," the official said. The past few days witnessed pre-monsoon showers, bringing relief to drought-hit Marathwada. Beed, Osmanabad, Latur, Nanded received substantial amounts of rainfall during the whole of last week.