Montek pitches for govt, industry aid for Dalit VC Fund
- Ghulam Ali's concert in Mumbai cancelled after Shiv Sena's threat
- PM Modi a sensitive person, don't judge him on social media posts: BJP on Dadri lynching
- Why President Mukherjee hit the right notes on core values of 'diversity', 'plurality' and 'tolerance'
- Barack Obama apologises for air strike on Kunduz hospital: White House
- Commercial vehicles entering Delhi to pay environmental tax: NGT
Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia today pitched for aid from government and India Inc's to set up a venture capital fund for promoting the 'Dalit' (SC&ST) entrepreneurs.
"I supported the idea of setting up of venture capital fund for promoting Dalits who want who start their own business when Dalit industry body DICCI met," Ahluwalia said while speaking at the 3rd National Conference of Dalit Organisations here.
"I am also in favour of government and industry contributing to the fund to bring the underprivileged class of the society to mainstream economy," he said.
Ahluwalia said the Planning Commission alone could not do this as Dalits bodies would have to come through some concerned ministries for seeking aid and the panel would then support it.
He suggested the fund not only be used to promote SC&ST persons but also other non-dalit people who deserve the financial aid for their business venture.
"We know there are some gaps in the implementation of the ST&ST Sub-Plan and we will try to correct it in the 12th Plan period and seek cooperation of the states in this regard", he said.
Under the SC&ST sub-Plan, certain proportion of funds meant for any programme is to be spent for providing benefits to these communities.