Month on, JCO’s son missing from Ezhimala naval academy
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Over A month ago, Master Warrant Officer Birendra Singh, 55, was a proud father. With his three sons opting to follow in his footsteps and join the Armed Forces, Singh's dream — just like that of numerous JCOs of the three services — of making his sons officers was turning a reality. And just as life seemed to offer him little relaxation after having lost his wife to breast cancer, something more unexpected happened.
Five months after he had joined Indian Naval Academy (INA), Ezhimala, Singh's third son Chandra Deo Singh, 18, went missing on October 11. The last time he is known to have withdrawn money from his bank account is five days after he ran away from the academy, from an ATM in Panjim, Goa. On October 24, he added a friend to his Facebook account. "He is a bright student and had cleared the UPSC examination in the very first attempt. His elder brother Captain Panchdev Singh is a commissioned infantry officer, while another brother is undergoing final year training at INA. Chandra Deo decided to join the Navy after he visited his brother in the academy," said Birendra Singh, a resident of Khadki who is currently posted at ORDAQA in the city.
Singh feels his son was unhappy with the rigourous training regime at INA and could not cope. "He was absolutely fine in the first month. Then he started skipping his lectures and parade so that the academy rusticates him. My elder son had visited the academy to sort out the matter pertaining to his irregular attendance. On October 10, he had told his roommate that this time he will do such a thing that his brother and father would have 'no control' on. Since then, he has been absconding... we are worried and hoping for him to return," said Singh.
- Opening up: Rahul Gandhi plans elections to pick CWC members too
- Telangana turmoil likely in Parliament; PM says opposition to bill are hiccups, BJP to take call as per â€˜situationâ€™
- LIVE: Narendra Modi addresses first rally in Mamataâ€™sÂ turf
- Jan Lokpal Bill divides AAP and Cong, threatens Delhi govt