More rain on way, longest monsoon in Delhi in 72 yrs: Met
- Elections 2014 Live: Sonia Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal cast their votes in third phase of LS polls
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- Congress not aggressive enough, says Sharad Pawar
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Two CRPF jawans killed in Bihar before start of polling
Heavy morning rains caused waterlogging in many parts of the city, inundating Durga Puja and Ramlila pandals, dampening the festive spirit and causing traffic snarls on Friday
Delhi witnessed 62.6 mm of rain till noon on Friday. The Met department recorded 26.2 mm rainfall and 100 per cent humidity till 8.30 am, and another 36.4 mm rainfall till noon at the Safdarjung observatory.
The maximum temperature in the city was recorded at 26.1 degrees Celsius against 35.1 degrees Celsius on Thursday. The minimum was 19.9 degrees Celsius, against 23.8 degrees on Thursday. The humidity levels oscillated between 71 per cent and 100 per cent.
The Met department has forecast a generally cloudy day with more rains ahead. "The sky will remain partly cloudy, and more rainfall is expected over the weekend," a Met official said.
With rains expected to last beyond Sunday, the IMD
said the ongoing season was likely to be the longest monsoon season in 72 years over Delhi and NCR.
While the average length of the monsoon season over the region is only 85 days, the previous record of longest monsoon over Delhi-NCR was recorded over 111 days in 1956.
"In view of predicted rainfall spells over Delhi and NCR, the length of the 2013 monsoon is likely to surpass the record since 1941. It is going to be about 40 per cent more than the normal length," the IMD said.
Based on the database of last 72 years, the most delayed withdrawal of monsoons from the Delhi and NCR region has been as late as October 13 in the years 1956 and 1959.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi