Mother of battered baby traced, two more arrested
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: CSK wreak havoc on DD with clinical bowling
The battered baby case turned murkier with police today claiming that her mother, who has finally been traced, was tricked into a second marriage allegedly by a woman and her three children were handed over to other people.
Two women were arrested following investigations into the case yesterday for their alleged role in tricking the 22-year-old mother of Falak, who was admitted to AIIMS after a teenaged girl battered her, into the marriage.
The arrested have been identified as Laxmi, who allegedly handed over two-year-old Falak to one Rajkumar who kept the girl with his teenaged girlfriend, and Kanta Choudhry who "conspired" with another woman Saroj. The latter is yet to be apprehended.
"We are treating the mother of Falak as a victim and not as an accused. Her three children from the first marriage were handed over to separate persons by the trio.
"The mother was tricked into a marriage by the accused who assured her that they were taking good care of her children and she could reunite with them if her second husband agrees," Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South), told reporters.
Laxmi managed to persuade the mother to come to Delhi from her residence in Bihar's Muzaffarpur. The mother was fed up with her marriage as her husband is an alleged criminal.
The case which came to light in January last week had its twists and turns with police arresting four persons in a related case. The father of teenager, who brought the child to hospital in a battered condition, was charged with abandoning her while a couple and another women were arrested for forcing her into prostitution.
Falak has been battling for life at the AIIMS hospital, were she was brought on January 18 with severe head injury, both her arms broken, bite marks all over her body and her cheeks branded with hot iron.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota