Mother of deputy envoy to UN robbed at Defence Colony home
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
Armed robbers barged into the Defence Colony residence of a 82-year-old woman, wife of a former bureaucrat and mother of a senior Indian diplomat at the United Nations, and fled with cash and jewellery worth lakhs after tying her to a chair on Wednesday.
Surjeet Puri was attacked at her A-Block home shortly after 3 pm. Police said her son Manjeev Singh Puri is India's Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations.
Her driver found her when he reached the house at 5.30 pm.
According to police, two men entered the house posing as courier service agents. When they knocked on the door, Puri told them she was not expecting any packet. But they forced their way in and one of them pinned her down, police said.
The duo then ransacked the house and fled with Rs 20,000 cash and the jewellery she was wearing. Police said she was tied to a chair.
"She usually visited the gymkhana in the afternoon and returned only in the evening, But today, her routine was different. She came home early. Her driver left saying he would return in ten minutes but came back much later. She has not suffered any major injury. We have registered a case and are conducting an investigation," a senior police officer said.
Neighbours said Puri left for her sister's house in the evening. Her two sons, they said, live abroad. While Manjeev Puri is at the UN, her other son is a banker in Singapore.
Police are scanning footage from CCTV cameras in the colony. Forensics have already lifted fingerprints from the house.
Police said that they were also questioning the driver on why he had returned so late to the house after telling Puri that he would be back in ten minutes.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2