Mother of two hangs self after gangrape
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
In the third such incident in Haryana in last six months, a gangrape victim committed suicide a week after she was allegedly gangraped by three men who had also been threatening her with dire consequences.
The 36-year-old woman, a mother of two, was found hanging from the ceiling early on Saturday by a neighbour at Hasangha village in Fatehabad district of the state. Her mentally challenged husband and paralytic father-in-law were sleeping in another room.
As per the police, the woman, who used to work as a domestic help, was allegedly raped by three persons — Sushil, Kimti and Ashok, all residents of the same village — when she went looking for her husband in the evening on February 2.
"The victim's family lives in a small house constructed on the outskirts of the village. On February 2 her husband went out and did not return home throughout the day. In the evening she went out searching for him when the accused forcibly took her to the fields and allegedly raped her. On February 5, she informed about the incident to a woman in whose house she was working as domestic help," Deputy Superintendent of Police, Fatehabad, Shamsher said.
He said that the matter was discussed among village elders and the three accused were questioned. "They denied (raping the woman). For the last two days, the victim had been getting threatening calls from the accused. On Friday, she narrated the incident to one of her relatives and even passed on the cellphone number from which she was getting the calls. This morning she was found dead," the DSP added.
Fatehabad SSP Vikas Dhankar, who visited the victim's house, said three teams have been constituted to arrest the accused who are absconding. "All three are in the age group of 25-30 years and are on the run. They will be arrested soon," Dhankar said, adding, "the victim never approached the police."
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today