Mother, son crushed under garbage truck
- Dengue: Toll reaches 16 as two more girls die; over 2,000 tested positive
- Bihar polls: After quitting Grand Alliance, Mulayam forms Third Front
- US Federal funds rate remains unchanged, defers to global economic volatility
- Bharti gets relief from arrest as HC reserves order on anticipatory bail
- No ban on meat in Maharashtra as SC rejects plea against Bombay HC's order
Vehicle belongs to A2Z company, the firm hired by MC to pick up garbage in the city
A mother and son lost their lives after getting crushed under a garbage collection truck of A2Z company on Tuesday. At Samrala Chowk, the truck crushed Indu Devi, 36 and her son Shri Ram, 15, both residents of Daba road. Both of them died on the spot and the driver fled away leaving behind the truck.
It is to be noted that A2Z is the company hired by Ludhiana municipal corporation and collects door-to-door garbage from some parts of the city on contract.
When contacted, MC Commissioner R K Verma said, "The whole responsibility of accidents lie on A2Z like compensation for family and case handling. MC has no role to play in it." MC has not defined any clause 'on the responsibility of such accidents'in its contract with A2Z.
It is to be noted that the deceased ran a small tea-small while her husband Rama Shankar is a labourer. Talking to Newsline, grieving Shankar said, "I have lost everything. I want the driver to be caught and punished immediately."
Police division number 6 have registered the case of hit and run against unidentified accused. Randhir Singh, sub-inspector, division number 6 police station said, "Both the deceased died on the spot. We have contacted the company to provide us the details of the driver so that we can catch him at the earliest."