Mother-in-laws’ worst traits
- Govt signs peace accord with NSCN(IM), PM Modi calls it 'historic'
- BJP takes U-turn on land bill, agrees to bring back UPA's key provisions
- Crisis deepens: Speaker suspends 25 Cong MPs, Sonia digs in heels
- India to take up Gurdaspur terror attack in NSA-level talks with Pakistan
- JBT scam: Supreme Court upholds jail term of Om Prakash Chautala, his son
The study by online researchers OnePoll found that millions of women find themselves having daily fight with their hubby's mother, over everything from dress sense to the household finances, the Daily Mail reported.
It also found that as many as one in ten women are currently not in speaking terms with their mother-in-law following a particularly bitter row.
Sharing opinions on raising the kids was the most common cause of arguments.
Mother-in-law frequently saying "In my day, we did it like this..." also ranked highly on the list of top bones of contention, as did taking credit for all her son's good points because "he takes after her."
Mothers-in-law giving children too much junk food or interfering with financial matters were also common.
About half of women respondents said they have had a row with their partner about his mother.
And 15 percent women came close to ending their relationship over friction with her.
"This report seems to suggest mothers-in-law know exactly how to push the buttons of their daughters-in-law," a OnePoll spokesman said.
Mother-in-laws' worst traits are:
1. Sharing their opinions on how to raise your children
2. Acting like they know what's best
3. Declaring: "In my day, we did it like this..."
4. Criticising your mothering skills
5. Giving your children too much junk food
6. Acting as if she knows what your children like and don't like
7. Not listening
8. Making out they know their son better than you
9. Tidying up on arrival at your house
10. Interfering in financial matters
11. Taking credit for her son's good points because he "takes after her"
12. Asking her son "are you eating well enough, you look thin"
13. Telling you: "You could do with losing a bit of weight"
14. Insisting on talking on a landline rather than a mobile
15. Declaring: "You need to get started on my grandchildren, you aren't getting any younger."
16. Asking your partner to keep a secret from you
17. Criticising your outfit
18. Refusing to listen to your tips when she is babysitting because "she's had her own children"
19. Criticising meals you serve because you "don't cook enough from scratch"
20. Buying a plug-in air freshener when she is staying with you