Mounted squad may return in Ahmedabad
- Live, Ind vs Aus: Quick strikes put India on top
- Bengal nun gangrape: First arrest made from Mumbai
- Germanwings crash: Chilling report says one pilot left cockpit, was unable to return
- If anything that is defamatory goes off, we will have a very boring Internet: Jaitley
- Hooda govt bent rules to favour Robert Vadra firm: CAG
The mounted squad of city police will be back to patrolling in Ahmedabad to keep watch on miscreants and criminals. The state Home Department and Ahmedabad police proposed the measure in a meeting on Friday to control the increasing crime rate and growing traffic snarls in the city.
Principal Secretary in the Home Department S K Nanda held a special meeting with top Ahmedabad police officials to counter the problems. The mounted squad is mostly active in border areas of the state.
Nanda said, "We have suggested that the mounted squad should be brought back in the city to keep watch on the people. The motorcycle police squad will also be activated soon to create a threat among the petty criminals that they can be chased as soon as they commit a crime."
The mounted squads have horses and camels that are trained by the police for patrolling in various cities and districts. The mounted (horse) squads are used in cities and towns while mounted (camel) squads are used by the border areas of the state.
"We have asked a deadline for the CCTV cameras and insisted that the these should be installed in Ahmedabad as soon as possible. All procedures related to administration, purchasing of the cameras is over and the committee has to only get it fixed," he said.