Movie's today turning the concept of Bollywood around: Deepa Mehta
- Arvind Kejriwal to launch AAP's Lok Sabha poll campaign from Haryana today
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Filmmaker Deepa Mehta says the kind of movies being made today in Bollywood is turning the concept of Indian cinema upside down.
The 62-year-old, who is here for the promotion of her much anticipated movie 'Midnight's Children', says the Hindi movies she has watched in the past one year have really impressed her.
"I saw some movies and I thought they were really interesting. I am a big fan of Vishal Bharadwaj films and looking forward to see his movie now. All of these movies are just turning the concept of cinema in India upside down.
"And I must say that the fact they can actually be seen in movie theatres and not just online is fabulous. It shows the maturity of the audience and the need and the desire for consumption of good cinema," Deepa said.
The Indo-Canadian filmmaker is known internationally for her elements trilogy 'Fire', 'Earth' and 'Water'.
Deepa says making a movie on Salman Rushdie's Booker Prize winning novel was an experience and bringing it back home feels satisfying.
"Book is a love letter to India and bringing it back home was very important. The reason I wanted to do this movie is because it is different from the book. It was equally important that the film is done with great affection. If it wasn't screened in India it would be heartbreaking," she added.
The movie will be released in February end next year.
Deepa's next "Masterpiece" is based on painter Matisse and his muse.
"We begin shooting in September. It is a story of an artist who is inspired by a nun to make chapel. It is a beautiful and inspirational story. It is set in the 50's in South of France."
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Government blames BJP for delay in passage of Telangana bill in Rajya Sabha, may extend Parliament session
- Dhoni, do you believe you can win abroad? | The Indian Express
- ‘Troop movement should’ve been avoided if they knew (V K Singh’s) court date’