MP again: Lokayukta raids on DIG, kin unearth Rs 25-cr assets
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
The Lokayukta Police on Saturday raided the premises of a deputy inspector general (Jail) and his relatives and unearthed assets worth more than Rs 25 crore, in one of the biggest operations in Madhya Pradesh in recent times.
The raids in Bhopal and Sagar on the premises of DIG Umesh Gandhi and his brother, also employed in the jail department, led the Special Police Establishment to the recovery of five houses, plots, gold and silver jewellery and Rs four lakh in cash. They also found fixed deposits worth Rs two crore, insurance policies worth Rs 40 lakh and more than Rs 56 lakh in bank accounts among other assets.
A team of two-dozen SPE officials searched Gandhi's official residence on Arera Hills and his brother's house in Subhasnagar since early Saturday. Another team searched the premises owned by the Gandhis in Sagar.
The salary of Gandhi, who joined service in 1987, is a little above Rs 50,000 and the assets recovered are disproportionate to his known sources of income, said officials. Besides his brother, who is posted in Bhopal, Gandhi's sister is also employed as a jail guard in Sehore.
Though Gandhi faced a couple of inquiries in the past none was pending against him. A senior jail official admitted that the process to recruit jail guards had recently been changed. While earlier superintendents used to appoint them — and allegedly used to make a lot of money — the Professional Examination Board, a government body, was entrusted with the job recently.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2