MP Babar, corporator booked for taking out rallies without permit
- Sports court tears Narsingh Yadav defence, NADA’s credibility
- Ramya on sedition case: Will not apologise for my Pakistan remark, said nothing wrong
- I can't fight against the government or AFI, but I know the truth: OP Jaisha
- From Rajasthan to Bihar: Tracking floods in north India
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar
Police in Pune on Tuesday booked Shiv Sena MP Gajanan Babar, along with several traders' association leaders for allegedly taking out rallies in protest against Local Body Tax (LBT) and holding a public gathering, without police permission.
While Babar was booked by Pimpri police, an offence was registered at Khadak and Deccan police station against the traders, including Popatlal Ostwal, Fattechand Ranka, Suryakant Pathak, Murlibhai Shah, Mahendra Pitaliya, Vasant Gaikwad and several others.
Police said the Federation of Traders' Associations did seek permission to take out rallies, but it was denied.
However, the traders defied their directives and took out a rally from Bajirao Road around 11 am on Tuesday.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone I) Makrand Ranade had made an appeal to the traders to refrain from taking out rallies. Nonetheless they went ahead with it, one of which started from Bajirao Road, moving over to Laxmi Road and then culminating at the river bed in the Deccan area, where they gathered and shouted slogans against the government's decision.
Meanwhile, a motor vehicle rally was also organised under the leadership of MP Babar from Dr Ambedkar Chowk in Pimpri to the district collectorate on Tuesday.
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways
- Mental Health Bill tries to address complex issues, but it’s a work in progress
- Modi’s recent statements could help end the troubled region’s long international isolation
- Divya Spandana: Pakistan is no hell, I stand by my remarks
- The freedom from unreason
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity