MP Babar, corporator booked for taking out rallies without permit
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7: It's that man Glenn Maxwell again
Police in Pune on Tuesday booked Shiv Sena MP Gajanan Babar, along with several traders' association leaders for allegedly taking out rallies in protest against Local Body Tax (LBT) and holding a public gathering, without police permission.
While Babar was booked by Pimpri police, an offence was registered at Khadak and Deccan police station against the traders, including Popatlal Ostwal, Fattechand Ranka, Suryakant Pathak, Murlibhai Shah, Mahendra Pitaliya, Vasant Gaikwad and several others.
Police said the Federation of Traders' Associations did seek permission to take out rallies, but it was denied.
However, the traders defied their directives and took out a rally from Bajirao Road around 11 am on Tuesday.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone I) Makrand Ranade had made an appeal to the traders to refrain from taking out rallies. Nonetheless they went ahead with it, one of which started from Bajirao Road, moving over to Laxmi Road and then culminating at the river bed in the Deccan area, where they gathered and shouted slogans against the government's decision.
Meanwhile, a motor vehicle rally was also organised under the leadership of MP Babar from Dr Ambedkar Chowk in Pimpri to the district collectorate on Tuesday.
Police had refused permission to this rally as well, but Babar and about 200 traders gathered illegally and took out the rally. An offence was registered against him and 200 others, including Sena corporator Seema Savale.
- Rohit Shekhar biological son of N D Tiwari: HC
- Shazia Ilmi courts controversy, says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
- Alliance led by Sena, BJP will win 35 seats in Maharashtra, says Munde
- Black money: SC raps govt for not sharing info from Germany
- Delhi confidential: Power play
- Advisory unchanged, India to continue screening Haj pilgrims