MP police to conduct DNA test on ‘dacoit’ skeleton to verify UP family’s claim
- Elections 2014 Live: Sonia Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal cast their votes in third phase of LS polls
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- Congress not aggressive enough, says Sharad Pawar
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Two CRPF jawans killed in Bihar before start of polling
The Madhya Pradesh police has decided to go in for a DNA test after a family from Chitrakoot in UP claimed that a skeleton which was found in a jungle in Satna district last Saturday was their relative Ram Chandra Patel, a dacoit who carried a reward of Rs 75,000 in UP and Rs 50,000 in MP.
Patel's family members went to Nayagaon police station in Satna district on Sunday to collect the skeleton, but the MP police refused until its identity was established beyond doubt. The blood samples of Patel's elder brother Hiralal and daughter Nilasha were collected for DNA profiling. The skeleton was sent for a forensic examination to ascertain the cause of death.
"We need to ascertain two things: the identity of the person and the cause of death. After forensic reports, both points would be cleared," said Satna SP Prem Singh Bisht.
A native of Chitrakoot, Ram Chandra Patel (45) is wanted by both UP and MP police in over 25 criminal cases.
U C Tiwari, Station Officer, Nayagaon, said they got reports that the body of dacoit Ram Chandra Patel was lying in Thar Pahar thickets, a dense hilly area. The police went there and found a skeleton, clothes and a few other things.
"We sent a message to Patel's family in Chitrakoot. His brother Hiralal and daughter Nilasha came to the police station and claimed the skeleton was Patel's. They identified it from a ring, a chain and an amulet. But for conclusive proof of identity, the police decided on a DNA test," said Tiwari.
On September 28, an encounter took place between police and a gang of dacoits in Satna. Patel was rumoured to be seriously injured in the encounter, but escaped.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi