MPs, MLAs get active on FB, Twitter
- Parliament LIVE: Jaitley has promised concrete proposals on GST, says Chidambaram
- Kashmir violence -- Omar Abdullah interview: 'It has been building up to this'
- Baton Rouge shootings: Three officers killed, suspect dead
- Grading writers, artistes is new brainwave of Culture Ministry
- Reforms not because of Cong, in spite of it... credit goes to Rao-Singh: Arun Jaitley
Allegations against Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot buying Facebook (FB) 'Likes' has highlighted the growing significance of social media in the lives of political leaders.
A close look at social media accounts of some MPs and MLAs reveals that most of these people's representatives have been active on social websites and could possibly make use of them ahead of the 2014 assembly and Lok Sabha elections in Maharashtra.
When it comes to Members of Parliament (MPs), those in the Rajya Sabha are found to be more active on FB and Twitter as compared to their counterparts from the Lok Sabha.
Emulating BJP's election campaign committee chief Narendra Modi, BJP Rajya Sabha MP Prakash Javadekar leads in usage of social media. Javadekar is active on Twitter with 8,262 followers.
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MP Vandana Chavan is an active user of FB, having reached the limit of maximum friends on the popular social media. Having uploaded many photos on FB that depict her political journey so far, she has as many as 116 groups and 53 general 'likes'. She joined Twitter a couple of months back and has 206 followers on the micro-blogging site. MP Vandana Chavan said social media is a fantastic tool to reach out to people, share ideas and take feedback from the public during the busy schedule in the life of public representatives.
Among local Lok Sabha MPs, Shiv Sena MP from Shirur Shivaji Adhalrao Patil is very active on FB and Twitter. Having reached the maximum friends limit on FB, he appears to be almost a daily user of the social media that connects him with his party workers and followers.
NCP MP Supriya Sule is active on FB and has 822 followers on Twitter. Shiv Sena MP Gajanan Babar is also an active FB user and has reached the maximum friends limit. He has 525 followers. Tainted Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi's FB and Twitter accounts seem to be no longer functional. His last tweet was on April 22, 2009 and FB post more than couple of years back.
- Congress opposition to GST does no credit to a party that opened up the economy 25 years ago
- Kashmir poses not just moral but also existential questions involving statecraft
- New FDI policy in food products is unlikely to be a game-changer by itself
- Swathi murder case in Chennai must trigger a move to enact strong witness protection laws
- A new government in Nepal does not hold out any promise of greater stability
- Kashmir is more than land, it is people