MSU professor held for lacing V-Cís chair with herb that causes irritation
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
The officiating dean of the law faculty of M S University (MSU), Ghanshyam Solanki, was arrested by city's Fatehgunj police Monday evening for allegedly spraying a herb, known in local language as kuvech which causes acute irritation when it comes in contact with human body, on the chair that was to be occupied by university vice-chancellor (V-C) Yogesh Singh at a national seminar organised Saturday.
The seminar on the Right to Education (RTE), organised at the law faculty, was attended by the V-C. Gujarat High Court judge Sonia Gokani was the chief guest at the event.
The effect of the herb was so strong that Singh was forced to leave the venue within 2-3 minutes after he occupied the chair, university officials said.
Police said Solanki had confessed to having applied the herb on the chair.
Solanki is an associate professor with the faculty of law. He has also served as the senate member of the university in the past.
"Solanki has confessed to having applied. However, he said the herb was not targeted at the V-C, but at the dean of the faculty, S S Bhattacharya, with whom he wanted to settle some personal scores," Fatehgunj police inspector P L Chaudhary said.
"We are trying to find out why he wanted to hurt the dean," he said.
Solanki was booked under Sections 186, 323, and 290 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for obstructing a public servant in discharge of public duty, causing hurt and public nuisance, Chaudhary said.
Kuvech is known for causing extreme irritation when it comes in contact with the body. It has various agricultural and horticultural use, besides medicinal properties.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'