MTDC hits wall, no one expresses interest in special Volvos to Konkan
- Five crew members killed in IAF's C-130J Super Hercules plane crash
- IPL season 7 to go on; Sunil Gavaskar to be BCCI chief
- Sahara staff offer to collect Rs 5,000 cr for Subrata Roy's release
- Pakistan terrorists strike in Jammu region, three killed
- India vs Bangladesh Live Cricket Score: India in command after losing Shikhar Dhawan early
MTDC invited EoI twice since Nov, will invite another in a last-ditch effort to save plan.
The Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) plan to roll out special Volvo buses to Konkan region from Pune and Mumbai to give tourism in the scenic coastal area a boost has hit a bottleneck. There has been no response from tour operators to the expression of interest (EoI) the MTDC had invited twice since November.
MTDC would shortly invite EoI for the third and the last time, MTDC managing director Jagdish Patil told Newsline on Friday.
As proposed by Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, the Volvo buses will have Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS tracking systems, and LCD television among hi-tech facilities.
Three Konkan districts of Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg have been considered by MTDC for starting Volvo bus services, through which popular tourist places in these districts would be covered under special tour packages of different duration.
"Tour operators have not responded to our EoI invited twice in the last couple of months. Now, we are inviting the same again for the last time. We have approached the MSRTC (State transport) and even some famous tour operators with our plan," Patil said.
He said MTDC plans to invest Rs 5.5 crore in the Volvo bus project. The tour operators would have to ensure luxurious and hassle-free service to tourists.
Harihareshwar, Murud-Janjira, Dive-agar in Raigad district, Temple of Lote Parshuram, Bhatye beach and Ganpatipule in Ratnagiri district and Sindhudurg fort, Tarkarli, Kunakeshwar and Sawantwadi in Sindhudurg district are being planned to be covered under the Volvo tour packages plan.
Increasing footfall of tourists, including visitors from abroad, to Konkan region every year has been boosting tourism and allied businesses in the coastal area. More than eight lakh tourists, including a considerable number of foreigners visit Konkan in New Year and other tourist seasons, resulting in business to the tune of over Rs 20 crore, as per sources in the hospitality industry.
- Manmohan, Sonia and Rahul to campaign in Odisha
- Khurshid hits out at UP police over poll code violation case
- BJP will field strong candidates against Rahul, Sonia: Rajnath
- Modi, Hooda snatching land from farmers: Kejriwal
- Major political outfits banking on 'senior' leaders in Punjab
- IM top man Akhtar was planning terror strike in Delhi: Police