Muder accused killed by witness in case in Moshi
- I expected to do very well but didn't expect to top it: UPSC topper
- Shiv Sena comes to BJP's rescue, says 'move to classify madrasas as non-schools not anti-religious'
- Across the Aisle: ‘Export or perish’. Have we chosen ‘perish’?
- Big Picture - ‘Why did they kill me, ammi?’
- Sunday Story: The Leader and his machine
A 22-year-old man accused in a murder case was allegedly killed by a witness in the case in Moshi on Friday. Police identified the victim as Rahul Khandu Sawant (22), a resident of Moshi. Police have arrested the suspect, Navnath Raghu Gaware (22), also a resident of Moshi. An offence was registered at the MIDC police station.
Police said Gaware allegedly stabbed Sawant around 6.45 am at the main chowk in Moshi. Sawant was arrested in 2009 for allegedly murdering a restaurant owner Rahul Gaikwad. Gaware worked as a waiter at the restaurant and was a witness in the case.
Police said Gaware later started his own restaurant in Moshi and Sawant was released on bail in 2011. Since then there were disputes between the duo as Sawant allegedly threatened Gaware of dire consequences if he gave a statement against him in the murder case. Gaware had also lodged a police complaint against Sawant.
However, police suspect Sawant continued to threaten Gaware. Fed up, Gaware attacked Sawant with a weapon on Friday morning. On receiving information, the police reached the spot and rushed Sawant to a hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.