Muder accused killed by witness in case in Moshi
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
A 22-year-old man accused in a murder case was allegedly killed by a witness in the case in Moshi on Friday. Police identified the victim as Rahul Khandu Sawant (22), a resident of Moshi. Police have arrested the suspect, Navnath Raghu Gaware (22), also a resident of Moshi. An offence was registered at the MIDC police station.
Police said Gaware allegedly stabbed Sawant around 6.45 am at the main chowk in Moshi. Sawant was arrested in 2009 for allegedly murdering a restaurant owner Rahul Gaikwad. Gaware worked as a waiter at the restaurant and was a witness in the case.
Police said Gaware later started his own restaurant in Moshi and Sawant was released on bail in 2011. Since then there were disputes between the duo as Sawant allegedly threatened Gaware of dire consequences if he gave a statement against him in the murder case. Gaware had also lodged a police complaint against Sawant.
However, police suspect Sawant continued to threaten Gaware. Fed up, Gaware attacked Sawant with a weapon on Friday morning. On receiving information, the police reached the spot and rushed Sawant to a hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.