Mukhtar Ansari booked in murder case
- Government suspects tax evasion in deposits of Rs 3-4 lakh crore in banks post note ban
- BSF says jawan a repeat offender, will be shifted for fair probe
- Samajwadi Party feud to end? Mulayam Singh meets Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow
- On November 7, it was Govt which ‘advised’ RBI to ‘consider’ note ban, got RBI nod the next day
- Rahul Gandhi back in Delhi after foreign holiday, to meet party leaders today
A murder case was lodged on Saturday against jailed MLA Mukhtar Ansari and three others for their alleged involvement in the killing of a man in the Dakshintola area of Mau district on Friday evening. The deceased has been identified as Ram Singh Maurya, accountant of Mannat Singh, a local contractor killed in August 2009 allegedly by Ansari's gang.
Mau ASP Diwakar Kumar said that on Friday, Maurya was returning from the RTO office along with driver Shabbir Shah, constable on security duty Satish Kumar and Chandra Shekhar in a Tata Safari vehicle. They had only left the RTO office when four motorcycle-borne youths fired indiscriminately at the vehicle injuring Maurya and constable Kumar.
While the assailants escaped, the injured were rushed to the district hospital where Maurya was declared dead.
The constable was referred to Varanasi.
Maurya was a witness in the Mannat Singh murder case, the ASP said adding that three of the named accused — Mukhtar Ansari, Rakesh Pandey and Anuj Kanaujia— are lodged in Ghazipur and Mau district jails.
The ASP added that the firing was sequel to a rivalry between Mannat Singh and Ansari's gang over grabbing prime government contracts in the district.
- Far from curbing black money, corruption, demonetisation has disrupted economy
- Om Puri achieved more for India in Pakistan than any surgical strike could
- Beijing’s repeated rebuffs: India should rethink shared global interests
- Idea that Bengaluru enjoys reputation of being safe for women is a myth
- Election Commission must insist on the postponement of the Union budget
- The Incredibly Durable Khans represent the Bollywood film-and-fan