Mulayam calls meeting, pulls up top officials
- BJP nominee to Narendra Modi critics: You will soon be in Pakistan, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, minister says letâs call off trip
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Elections LIVE 2014: FIR lodged against Ajit Pawar for threatening villagers to vote for Sule
With Muzaffarnagar erupting in communal violence, worried Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav has started the damage control exercise. On Sunday, he summoned senior officials, including Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani, Principal Secretary (Home) R M Srivastava, Secretary to CM Anita Singh and several others at his residence.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was also present at the meeting during which the SP chief told the officials to restore law and order in Muzaffarnagar immediately.
"What is happening in Muzaffarnagar? I know everything. Who has done it, I have all the information. Why was so much laxity given at the beginning?" Mulayam told officials.
Food and Supplies Minister Rajendra Choudhary and Rural Engineering Minister Rajinder Singh Rana, both from western UP, too were present. "We told netaji (Mulayam Singh) about the carelessness of the local officials. Both netaji and CM Akhilesh Yadav were very worried. We had not expected that such a small issue will snowball into such a big incident. Netaji understood and told us that he knows everything and who has done it," Rajinder Singh Rana said.