Mulayam, Mayawati's BSP put Congress to the rack, say Mahatma Gandhi ideology forgotten
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
SP and BSP today invoked the name of Mahatma Gandhi in the Lok Sabha during debate on FDI in retail to express their opposition to the policy and insisted that going ahead with its implementation would be an insult to the great leader.
SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said, "You are forgetting the ideology of Gandhi."
Pointing at the BJP, he said they do not respect the views of Gandhi and so he would not appeal to them.
"The second thing is to maintain the importance of Gandhi's views," he said.
Recalling an incident of the freedom movement, Yadav said when Mahatma Gandhi was setting fire to a piece of foreign cloth and a foreigner asked why he was burning a good piece of cloth, Gandhi maintained he was doing so as Indian weavers were committing suicide.
"We are opposing foreign cloth to save the Indian weavers," Yadav said quoting Gandhi.
He addressed Congress President Sonia Gandhi and said her surname is same as that of Mahatma Gandhi.
"Don't forget that Gandhi said this. You are here due to the Gandhi name. I would say to respected Sonia Gandhi that Gandhi name is there in your surname as well as Rajiv Gandhi's. So, at least don't go against Gandhi's principles. Accept Gandhi's views," Yadav said.
The SP Chief emphasised that Gandhi was in favour of swadeshi (domestic goods) and against foreign goods. "Gandhi wanted Swadeshi and not foreign goods for sake of the poor, farmers, labourers, shopkeepers. You are forgetting swadeshi and bringing in foreigners," Yadav said.
He said from his experience, position and party's policies and programmes he believes in Gandhi, Lohia and Jai Prakash. "Had they been here, nobody would have dared to bring FDI," Yadav said.
BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan said India is the land of Gandhi where his followers live.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held