Mulayam’s younger son prefers body-building to body politic
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Sections of the Samajwadi Party may be clamouring that he contest the 2014 Lok Sabha election from Azamgarh, but Mulayam Singh Yadav's younger son Prateek Yadav is not interested as his priorities are different — such as spending hours in the gym and indulging in his passion of body-building.
The younger brother of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, 25-year-old Prateek studied management in Leeds and is a budding real estate developer. By his own admission, he is obsessed with physical fitness and exercises for two hours in the morning and an hour in the evening.
He will read any literature on fitness that he can lay his hands on. The websites he visits are about body building. And even the talk with Akhilesh revolves around fitness, he says.
"Politics is very difficult. It takes away your personal life. I cannot even imagine skipping my exercise schedule only to address a public meeting, I have my own priorities," Prateek told The Sunday Express when asked if he would give in to the pressure and contest the polls.
SP workers from Azamgarh have held demonstrations at the party headquarters twice in one month now demanding that he be named the candidate from their district. There is also speculation that he may actually choose Farrukhabad. But Prateek does not approve of the campaign.
"It should not have been done. Do I need a demonstration for getting the ticket?" he asked. It's a candid admission from someone whose family is steeped in politics.
First, there is father Mulayam Singh and brother Akhilesh. Akhilesh's wife Dimple is an MP. Uncle Shivpal Yadav is PWD Minister. Another uncle Ramgopal is also an MP and SP spokesman. Ramgopal's son Akshay has been named party candidate for Ferozabad. So isn't politics an obvious choice for Prateek?
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'