Mulayam Yadav's astrologer dead, cops eye spl team
- Parliament LIVE: Snooping on Rahul not right, says Congress; 'Asking for facts is not snooping'
- Waste paper to phone use: Govt revives checklist against leaks
- 14 booked for church vandalism in Haryana, cross replaced with Hanuman idol
- Pakistan: Protesters hit the streets after blasts near Lahore churches leave 15 dead
- No arrests in Bengal nun ‘rape’, church attack, local Christians nervous
Uttar Pradesh Police's Special Task Force (STF) has been asked to assist district police to trace the killers of astrologer Ramesh Tewari, who was said to be close to Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
The STF has been asked to assist the Jaunpur police in the murder case of Tewari, who was shot dead in Sarpataha area in Jaunpur yesterday, ADG (law and order) Arun Kumar said here.
Kumar, who had yesterday rushed to Jaunpur after the incident in which the killers had used automatic weapons, said that a case against unknown persons has been registered and further investigations are on.
He said that the astrologer had dispute over some issues with a couple of people and it is being looked into to trace the motive and killers.
The ADG said that people had told him in Jaunpur that the killers had hidden the carbine under a piece of cloth and before opening fire had touched the feet of the deceased.
Ramesh Tewari (34), known as Guruji, was sitting outside his house in Unchgaon area along with family members when two motorcycle-borne youths in police uniform came and opened fire injuring him and his brother.
Tewari was rushed to Sultanpur hospital where the doctors declared him brought dead while his brother has been referred to SGPGI, Lucknow.