Multiple shots fired at Capitol Hill in US, one policeman injured
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
The US Capitol, seat of the Congress, was locked down today after multiple shots were fired outside one of the office buildings, injuring one policeman and sparking massive security operation.
President Barack Obama was briefed on the reports of gunfire on Capitol Hill this afternoon, according to a White House official.
"White House staff are in touch with law enforcement and monitoring the incident. Questions about the security posture at the White House complex should be directed to the United States Secret Service," the official said.
In an email, the Capitol Police wrote that gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring all occupants in all House Office Buildings to shelter in place.
"Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, Go Kits and escape hoods; and move to the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows," the email said.
"If you are not in your office, take shelter in the nearest office, check in with your OEC and wait for USCP to clear the incident. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP.
"All staff should monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available," the Capitol Police said.
The incident set off a huge police response as emergency vehicles converged on the scene and security was heightened inside the Capitol, which was already tense during shutdown negotiations.
The White House was also placed in lockdown, with Secret Service agents in tactical gear deploying around the building. The security alert was later partially lifted.
According to multiple news report, the suspect is said to be a female. Law enforcement officials said there is no indication of it being an act of terrorism.
About half an hour after the incident began, the security lockdown at the Capitol was lifted and the doors reopened.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress