Mulund violence: BJP, MNS MLAs arrested
- Missing Malaysian jetliner: Plane's disappearance deliberate, says Malaysian PM
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
- Arrest warrant issued against Devyani Khobragade in US visa fraud case
- Unfazed, Arvind Kejriwal fires yet another salvo at media
- CRPF says police stalled its plan, may have averted Maoist ambush
Navghar police on Tuesday arrested BJP MLA Sardar Tara Singh and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) MLA Shishir Shinde for allegedly leading a mob that burned illegal hutments in Neelam Nagar, Mulund on Sunday. Police said both leaders were summoned to station for inquiries and arrived on Tuesday.
"We arrested both of them. Apart from them, the seven corporators booked in the case, who were admitted to Rajawadi Hospital, were also discharged on Tuesday. They were all taken to a court, which granted them bail," said senior inspector Ganesh Gaikwad.
On Sunday, a large mob, allegedly comprising political activists and members of the BJP and the MNS, had gone to a slum in Neelam Nagar, Mulund and started destroying it.
Some part of it was also set on fire, and around 30 huts were burnt in the fire. Police said the mob also got into a scuffle with BMC officials as well as policemen who were present at the spot.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy