Mulund violence: BJP, MNS MLAs arrested
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
Navghar police on Tuesday arrested BJP MLA Sardar Tara Singh and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) MLA Shishir Shinde for allegedly leading a mob that burned illegal hutments in Neelam Nagar, Mulund on Sunday. Police said both leaders were summoned to station for inquiries and arrived on Tuesday.
"We arrested both of them. Apart from them, the seven corporators booked in the case, who were admitted to Rajawadi Hospital, were also discharged on Tuesday. They were all taken to a court, which granted them bail," said senior inspector Ganesh Gaikwad.
On Sunday, a large mob, allegedly comprising political activists and members of the BJP and the MNS, had gone to a slum in Neelam Nagar, Mulund and started destroying it.
Some part of it was also set on fire, and around 30 huts were burnt in the fire. Police said the mob also got into a scuffle with BMC officials as well as policemen who were present at the spot.