Mumbai builder shot dead in front of office, murder caught on CCTV
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
A local builder was stabbed multiple times on his chest, and over his right arm, with the two assailants pumping five bullets in close range on Saturday morning at 8.30 outside his office in Sector 29 at Navi Mumbai. The Police have recovered an Italian make pistol and made one arrest.
Sunil Kumar, a builder from New Mumbai, and owner of Sk Brothers Company was stabbed and shot, on his way to office on the Khoparkhairane Road. Kumar, a resident of Sector 18, in Sanpada, had just parked his BMW and was walking towards the gates of the office when he was waylaid by two men dressed in security guard's outfits. According to eye-witness accounts and CCTV recording, one of the assailant was holding a wooden stool, and the other had a coconut and marigold garland.
Venkatesh Shettiyar (35), is now being interrogated at New Mumbai police station.
CCTV footage shows that the two stopped Kumar and one of the assailants smashed a coconut on his head. Kumar lost his balance, which is when one of them removed a knife and stabbed him on his chest and stomach. The police have recovered a broken thumb from the crime scene, believed to be Kumar's suggesting that he did try to stop the assailants.
"Kumar began bleeding when the second killed removed a pistol and shot five rounds on him," said Puroshttam Karad, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone 1) Navi Mumbai. Strangely, the two spread the garland of flowers on his body and tried to flee the spot on a motorcycle.
The gun shots though had got a few alert neighbours and passers-by who chased the bike. The pillion rider was dragged by his collar and pulled down, while the rider managed to speed away. In a rage of anger, the locals brutally assaulted the pillion rider until he fell unconscious.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress