Mumbai lab develops home sperm-test kit
- Rs 870 crore money trail: Why the Bhujbals are under scanner
- SC allows 'Make in India' event at Mumbai beach, PM to inaugurate
- Pawar defends Bhujbals, says Fadnavis govt indulging in vendetta politics
- Anupam Kher a great artiste, welcome to visit Pakistan: Abdul Basit
- Indian helicopters helped war against militants in Afghanistan: US General
In what is considered a breakthrough in fertility treatment, scientists at Mumbai's National Institute of Research in Reproductive Health (NIRRH) have patented a sperm-quality test that is simple enough to be developed into a home kit.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has invited bids from private companies to produce it commercially.
The Resazurin Reduction Test (RRT) is more effective in assessing male fertility than the standard semen analysis which cannot evaluate functional competence of sperms. RRT also seeks to replace four advanced and very expensive diagnostic tools that assess sperm count, motility and quality. RRT, its developers hope, can be sold for Rs 100 per kit.
RRT is a dye test involving a coloured compound containing a sodium salt that functions as an oxidation reduction indicator. It is readily reduced — a specific chemical reaction involving transfer of electrons — by motile sperm. The reduction happens faster if the number of such sperms is high. Information from this single test is equal to the data from four advanced tests that take a week and cost about Rs 20,000. Also, these tests are not routinely done in any centre in India.
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism
- As it completes 10 years, there is enough evidence to show that India needs the MGNREGA
- For Randhir Singh, teaching was next to revolution-making.
- Intizar Husain seemed as much a stranger in a strange land in Pakistan as he did in India
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment