Mumbai Underground: Monsoon Jail Bharo
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The number of inmates in jails always increases during monsoon. In Mumbai, where 60 per cent of the population lives in slums, and a sizeable part dwells on footpaths, many often indulge in petty crimes to ensure they can live in jails during the rains. Home Minister RR Patil confirmed the phenomenon. He said, "It's both amusing and shocking, but it's true. What can homeless people do? They prefer jails to footpath."
Impressed with the lawyer appointed to bail out his 22-year-old son, actor Aditya Pancholi kept clapping to each defence argument in court on Thursday. Pancholi's son Sooraj has been behind bars since June 10 for allegedly abetting his girfriend and actor Jiah Khan's suicide. Defence lawyer C K Talekar's each line of argument that Khan's suicide was not due to a failed relationship but her failed career, brought claps from Pancholi. However, his enthusiasm was short-lived as the sessions court rejected the bail application.
Trust some politicians to turn any eventuality to their own benefit. The case of an injured pachyderm took a political and regional twist when local MNS leaders blamed the North Indian owner of the elephant for injuries sustained by the animal. Known for their hostility to North Indians, the MNS leaders claimed it was because of the intention of North Indians, particularly residents of UP and Bihar, to make easy money which injured the elephant.
The credibility of infrastructure projects forecast by the Congress-NCP government is being compared to the weather forecast of the MET department. In a recent Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) committee meeting, when infrastructure development for the Undertaking was being discussed, a member from the Opposition party XX, taunting Congressman XX, remarked sarcastically, "The (infrastructure) forecasts by Congress is as good as the forecast by MET. Absolutely wrong!" Everyone in the room had a hearty laugh.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express