Mumbaikar arrested for cheating women; tried to target 2,500
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7: CSK register 93-run victory over hapless DD
He flew to Delhi to find his targets, mostly women, called them in a female voice and cheated them of their money by threatening to jail their male relatives but luck ran out for the 35-year-old Mumbaikar as he landed in police net.
Ravi Bhupinder Nath Verma was arrested by Delhi Police from Navi Mumbai recently following investigations into a complaint filed by a Vasant Kunj resident that a man cheated her of Rs 35,000 and molested her.
"Analysis of Call Detail Record (CDR) of his mobile number indicates that he had contacted more than 2,500 victims in the past six months in Delhi," Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South), said.
Sharma said he used to fly to Delhi from Mumbai to identify targets and allegedly used to call the victim in female voice and introduced himself as a senior officer.
He then allegedly informed the target that various complaints of obscene calls had been made from this number to various ladies, due to which the user had to be arrested.
"During telephonic conversations, when the accused noticed that the victim was frightened, he told them that in order to settle the issue, she will have to deposit some security amount as her brain mapping test and physical measurement had to be conducted.
"He asked the victim to come at a designated place where a doctor will be sent to receive the money and to conduct the measurement test. The frightened victim, in order to save her family members, used to reach the designated place to meet the accused," Sharma said.
He was previously arrested in several cases in Maharashtra's Kalyan, Kurla, Thane, Gombisali, Pune, Narul, Muland, CBD, Belapose and Pune for similar type of crime.
Verma's arrest by Delhi Police came following investigations into the complaint filed on February this year by a woman in Vasant Kunj.
- A ‘woman Modi’ seeks votes for Mulayam Singh’s party in Indore
- They refused to vote because of Kalyan, vow to turn out now and shut his son out
- Ex-Ulfa leader upsets equations in Bodo bastion Kokrajhar
- In Maharashtra, Muslims bitter but see few options beyond Cong
- Poll staff stranded, govt employees protest
- Sarpanch, son among three killed in Pulwama