Mums overfeeding already obese kids
- Survivors unlikely onboard missing IAF aircraft AN-32: MoS Defence
- Selfie Gold goes to Sports Minister Vijay Goel but Rio panel isn’t amused
- Prakash Javadekar accepts what Smriti Irani rejected: PMO idea to let IIMs choose their chiefs
- In standoff with SC on judges’ postings, Govt digs its heels in
- Should bury data, said Ranbaxy chief when R&D head revealed fudge: Tribunal order
Mothers are overfeeding their children, who are already fat, because they are unable to tell if they are too chubby, a new research has suggested.
A survey of nearly 300 mothers found that they struggled to judge the weight of their own toddlers.
According to the experts, this blind spot could lead to youngsters being encouraged to overeat, predisposing them to obesity in later life.
The study was carried out by dietician Rebecca Byrne who asked 276 mothers to describe their 12 to 16 month old children, as either underweight, normal weight or overweight, the Daily Mail reported.
The researchers then measured children's heights and weights.
Byrne said that mothers thought 27 of the children were too thin, but only one of these toddlers was actually underweight, with the rest being of normal size.
Additionally, while 32 percent of the toddlers in the study were actually overweight, only four percent (12 of the 276 toddlers) were perceived as too heavy by their mothers.
Figures showed that around 27 percent of British children are now overweight.
Rapid early weight gain before two years of age is associated with a two to threefold increase in the risk of obesity later in life.
- All parties meet about Kashmir. But are they prepared to hear the Kashmiris?
- Wang Yi’s Delhi visit is an occasion to start a conversation with Beijing
- India needs to build legal expertise to press its case in international maritime disputes
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technology can make the state more accountable
- She has not let anyone down. The people of India have let down Irom Sharmila
- Triple talaq: Indian Muslims must find a solution in accordance with the teachings and spirit of Islam