Municipal council, nagar panchayat elections held
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
Elections to the Mullanpur and Machiwara municipal councils, Malaud and Sahnewal nagar panchayats, as well as the by-poll to Jagraon ward number 13 were held today. There were some cases of allegations and counter-allegations during voting.
In Mullanpur, except for a case in ward number 13 regarding an alleged attack on Congress vehicles, no other major incident was reported. However, the police were on their toes after receiving fake complaints.
It was revealed that a call of booth capturing had also come from Mullanpur but was later found to be fake. The official vehicles of the block development officer (BDO) and public relations officer (PRO) had entered the booth, which was misunderstood by political party workers.
Seventy-nine per cent of the votes were polled in Mullanpur for nine wards while for ward number 13 in Jagraon polling was 72 per cent. For the 12 wards of the Machiwara Municipal Council, 75 per cent polling was recorded.
The voter turnout for the Malaud nagar panchayat elections was 91 per cent while 80 per cent of the voters exercise their franchise in the Sahnewal nagar panchayat elections.
Police officials claimed that there were no cases of violence during the day. However, their phones kept on ringing every few minutes with fake complaints.
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words