Municipality polls: BJP Muslim candidates sweep Salaya
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
"In four nagarplikas in south Gujarat, eight out of 10 Muslim candidates have won," Chishti said. The winners in south Gujarat are in Valsad (three out of five Muslims fielded), Songadh and Dharampur (two out of two in each nagarpalika) and Pardi, where the sole Muslim candidate has won, he added.
Salaya has 98 per cent Muslims and most of them belong to the Wagher sub-community. The other three BJP winners include a Dalit. Four were declared elected unopposed.
According to Chishti, in earlier in local body elections, the BJP had fielded 325 Muslim candidates, 192 of whom had won.
Pardi's lone Muslim candidate Muazzam Ansari, who won, said, "Muslims were traditional voters of the Congress but in the recent nagarpalika and assembly elections, we have found that they are shifting to the BJP. Voters had to choose from two Muslims, one each from the Congress and the BJP. They put their faith in the development of Gujarat under the leadership of Narendra Modi. And for that, they have voted for me."
- Teacher at school in Rohini accused of molesting eight-year-old girl: Police
- In Sushma seat, BJP tweaks Modi slogan
- In Rampur, Azam Khan charm wanes
- In Sambhal, what matters more than Modi is a railway link
- Cong, BJP don’t favour polls, to wait for LS results
- Purandeswari to contest from Rajampet on a BJP ticket