Municipality polls: BJP Muslim candidates sweep Salaya
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
"In four nagarplikas in south Gujarat, eight out of 10 Muslim candidates have won," Chishti said. The winners in south Gujarat are in Valsad (three out of five Muslims fielded), Songadh and Dharampur (two out of two in each nagarpalika) and Pardi, where the sole Muslim candidate has won, he added.
Salaya has 98 per cent Muslims and most of them belong to the Wagher sub-community. The other three BJP winners include a Dalit. Four were declared elected unopposed.
According to Chishti, in earlier in local body elections, the BJP had fielded 325 Muslim candidates, 192 of whom had won.
Pardi's lone Muslim candidate Muazzam Ansari, who won, said, "Muslims were traditional voters of the Congress but in the recent nagarpalika and assembly elections, we have found that they are shifting to the BJP. Voters had to choose from two Muslims, one each from the Congress and the BJP. They put their faith in the development of Gujarat under the leadership of Narendra Modi. And for that, they have voted for me."
- A youth leader takes on Congress veteran in the NE primary
- On Women’s Day, ECI holds special campaign to woo women voters
- Disgruntled Aam Aadmi Party worker smears ink on Yogendra Yadav’s face
- Welfare Party of India fields candidates in 18 seats
- Mid-day meal workers clash with police, a few injured
- Indigo plane catches fire on landing, none hurt