Murder accused, kin attack police team trying to arrest him
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul tears into Narendra Modi's 'toffee model' development in Gujarat
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia to address rally in Telangana; Smriti Irani to file nomination shortly
A police team out to arrest a repeat offender and murder accused was attacked in Antop Hill on Sunday. Four cops sustained minor injuries.
Police said at least 25 cases, including murder, attempt-to-murder and extortion, were registered against the accused, Pappa Rajan Nair (45), at Sion, Vashi and Khar police stations and they were trying to arrest him for months.
Around 3 pm Sunday, Antop Hill Police received a tip-off that Nair would visit his residence in Indira Nagar, Sion-Koliwada, and sent a team to arrest him. Putting up stiff resistance, Nair and his family attacked the team with cricket bats and stumps.
Two sub-inspectors and two constables received chest and limb injuries and in the ensuing confusion, Nair escaped. The injured were taken to Rajawadi Hospital after the team returned to police station.
"At 5 pm, we received a second tip-off that Nair had returned to India Nagar. We rushed back with reinforcements. Nair and family, including his sisters Lakshmi and Radha, again tried to attack us, but they were overpowered and later arrested," inspector Sayyaji Deshmukh said.