Murder accused, kin attack police team trying to arrest him
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
A police team out to arrest a repeat offender and murder accused was attacked in Antop Hill on Sunday. Four cops sustained minor injuries.
Police said at least 25 cases, including murder, attempt-to-murder and extortion, were registered against the accused, Pappa Rajan Nair (45), at Sion, Vashi and Khar police stations and they were trying to arrest him for months.
Around 3 pm Sunday, Antop Hill Police received a tip-off that Nair would visit his residence in Indira Nagar, Sion-Koliwada, and sent a team to arrest him. Putting up stiff resistance, Nair and his family attacked the team with cricket bats and stumps.
Two sub-inspectors and two constables received chest and limb injuries and in the ensuing confusion, Nair escaped. The injured were taken to Rajawadi Hospital after the team returned to police station.
"At 5 pm, we received a second tip-off that Nair had returned to India Nagar. We rushed back with reinforcements. Nair and family, including his sisters Lakshmi and Radha, again tried to attack us, but they were overpowered and later arrested," inspector Sayyaji Deshmukh said.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today