Murder accused Patiala Mayor resigns
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
Under pressure from the SAD leadership, Patiala Mayor Jaspal Pardhan, who has been booked by police in the murder case of a woman, has resigned.
Pardhan's son Preetinder Singh told PTI that his father had late last night sent the resignation letter to party secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema after the ruling SAD asked him to resign on moral grounds.
Earlier, Cheema had said that party president Sukhbir Singh Badal has asked Pardhan to resign on moral grounds. As the party high command could not contact him as his phone was switched off, the decision had been conveyed to the family of Pardhan, he said.
SAD sources said that his resignation would be accepted from the post by the local Municipal Corporation. "He has faxed the resignation to party high command," Preeetinder said.Pardhan is a co-accused along with his accomplice Paramjeet Kaur and her son Harpreet Singh for allegedly killed Harpreet wife Parampreet Kaur.
The Punjab government has formed a special investigation team (SIT) to probe the murder of Parmpreet."Patiala Police has arrested two accused, including the deceased's husband Harpreet Singh and her mother-in-law Parmjeet Kaur. We have secured their police remand for one day and would produce them in court today. The SIT has started its investigations," IG (Patiala zone) Parmjit Singh Gill had said.
According to sources, SAD was under pressure from the opposition and within the party even as his detractors were lobbying for his ouster.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment