Murder of medical student, her mother triggers protests
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Condemning the "brutal murder" of a medical student and her mother allegedly by three youths here, scores of students, members of women organisations and political parties today held protests and took out rallies.
Raising slogans like "We want justice", school-college students and others took to streets and demanded stringent action against the three "killers" of the medical student Bhargavi and her mother Shakuntala, who were attacked at their house in broad daylight with knives yesterday.
Even as protests including road-blockades and rallies were held, a group of protesters was seen forcing the shops to be closed in Nellore town.
The assailants, including the main accused Imtiyaz, an interior decoration worker and two others, had gone to the house of one Dinakar Reddy, who runs a pharmacy college at Harnathpuram area yesterday with an intention to commit robbery.
Imtiyaz, who had done the interior and renovation work of Reddy's building, was known to his family and was also aware that there was gold and cash available in the house, police had said.
The trio, presently in the police custody, was being interrogated in this connection, they said.
Police said they were trying to find out whether Dinakar Reddy had disputes with anyone, including Imtiyaz over alleged payment dues for the interior decoration work he carried out at his house.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today