Murderer arrested after 30-min chase in Sonepat
- We condemn the flogging of Dalit men in Gujarat, says Rajnath Singh
- India cannot suppress voice of Kashmiris, should hold plebiscite: Nawaz Sharif
- Hockey legend Mohammed Shahid passes away
- Ambiguity on Navjot Singh Sidhu's status in BJP as no official word on resignation from party
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt to examine pay parity between IAS, non-IAS officers
The police have arrested a notorious gangster wanted by the police in various districts of Haryana and neighbouring states in several cases of murders and attempts to murders. Mohit aka Shera, who had a cash reward of Rs 50,000 on his head, was arrested after a 30-minute chase and an exchange of fire on the national highway in Sonepat district.
"Shera's arrest is a major achievement for the police. I had issued stern instructions to all officers that they should develop all possible inputs and intelligence on criminals who have been on the run for long. Finally, a team of Sonepat Crime Branch arrested Shera. Several cases have worked out with Shera's arrest," SP Arun Kumar said.
Following a tip-off on Tuesday night that Shera will visit Kakroi village and enter Delhi from the Sonepat-Delhi border, a special check post was set up. When signalled to stop at the check post, Shera opened fire at the police and fled on his motorcycle. While the police team started chasing Shera, the police control room was informed, following which, the Sonepat and Delhi-Sonepat border police were put on high alert.
"We fired two gunshots in the air asking Shera to stop, but he increased the speed of his motorbike. While trying to escape, he lost control of his motorcycle and fell. He was immediately taken into custody. We have recovered two country-made pistols and two rounds of bullets from him. We had admitted him to a hospital, from where he was discharged today," said Ratan Singh, incharge of the Crime Branch team, said.
During the police interrogation, Shera confessed to have murdered Bighal village resident Brijesh in August. While on September 12, he had shot dead Khubru-based liquor contractor Surender.
On September 29, he had killed another Bighal village resident, Sunil. On October 11, Shera had shot at Tihar Malik village resident Baljit Singh.
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China
- Empowering women through JAM
- Resolution of citizen grievances is an indicator of the performance of government departments
- Telescope: Grace and the lack of it
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might