Muslim clerics pitch for Mulayam as PM candidate
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7 Live Score, RR vs KXIP: Miller blitzkrieg enables KXIP to pull off second succesful run-chase
The Rotary International's Muslim Ulama Committee's (RIMUC) programme to felicitate Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for the eradication of polio from Uttar Pradesh on Sunday turned into a political event when several Ulamas (clerics) advocated for the selection of Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav as the country's next prime minister.
Declaring that Mulayam is the only politician who thinks about the welfare of Muslim community, Maulana Iqbal Qadari, president of the Sunni Ulama Council, who is also a member of the RIMUC's executive committee, appealed to the gathering to make Yadav the prime minister. Echoing similar thoughts, imam of a local mosque, Maulana Fazl-Ur-Rahman Waizee said that like polio eradication, work has to be done for the eradication of communalism and that can happen only under the banner of Samajwadi Party. CM Akhilesh Yadav also used the occasion to target 'communal forces'.
"A political disease is germinating and only you can eradicate it," the CM said.
RIMUC has been instrumental in eradicating polio from Uttar Pradesh, which, at one point of time, used to host the largest number of cases. After achieving success with the eradication of polio, RIMUC has now decided to work with the state government in strengthening the routine immunization, said Ajay Saxena, committee secretary.