Muslims celebrate Eid Al-Adha across the country
- Bihar: School director dies after mob assault over death of two students
- PM spoke about Rakhi, but neglected Muslims during 'Ramzan': Congress
- Watch video: CCTV captures Mumbai local ramming into station
- Another Vyapam scam accused dies; 24th death in the case
- Sushma's Ministry declines info under RTI on Lalit Modi's passport issue
Muslims all over the world are celebrating the festival of Eid Al Adha on Saturday. However, Muslims in Kerala celebrated the festival on Friday.
People across the Gulf region celebrated Eid Al Adha, the festival of sacrifice on Friday to marks the culmination of the Haj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
Millions of pilgrims from all over the world gathered at the mount Arafat near Mecca for the final leg of the Hajj on Friday.
This year, the Hajj has been marred by heavy rains that flooded many cities, the city of Jeddah in Saudi Arabia is the worst affected.
Eid al-Adha, the festival of Sacrifice, commemorates Prophet's readiness to sacrifice his own son in obedience to God.
According to the Holy Quran, God appeared in Prophet Ibrahim's dream and asked him to sacrifice something that was most dear to him.
Prophet Ibrahim decided to sacrifice his own son, Ismail. However, when he put a knife on Ismail's throat, God replaced his son with a goat through a miracle.
Consequently, it has become a tradition to slaughter livestock and feed the poor to mark the occasion.