Muslims celebrate Eid Al-Adha across the country
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Muslims all over the world are celebrating the festival of Eid Al Adha on Saturday. However, Muslims in Kerala celebrated the festival on Friday.
People across the Gulf region celebrated Eid Al Adha, the festival of sacrifice on Friday to marks the culmination of the Haj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
Millions of pilgrims from all over the world gathered at the mount Arafat near Mecca for the final leg of the Hajj on Friday.
This year, the Hajj has been marred by heavy rains that flooded many cities, the city of Jeddah in Saudi Arabia is the worst affected.
Eid al-Adha, the festival of Sacrifice, commemorates Prophet's readiness to sacrifice his own son in obedience to God.
According to the Holy Quran, God appeared in Prophet Ibrahim's dream and asked him to sacrifice something that was most dear to him.
Prophet Ibrahim decided to sacrifice his own son, Ismail. However, when he put a knife on Ismail's throat, God replaced his son with a goat through a miracle.
Consequently, it has become a tradition to slaughter livestock and feed the poor to mark the occasion.