Muthoot Finance may turn 2000 gold-loan outlets into bank branches
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
The largest pure-play gold mortgage player Muthoot Finance, which has applied for banking licence, has said it can easily launch commercial lending business with as many as 2,000 branches.
"We are confident of getting a banking licence from the Reserve Bank, given our reach in rural markets and our over a century of experience. In fact, our experience is the biggest asset and we are better suited than many other applicants in this regard," Muthoot Finance managing director George Alexander Muthoot told PTI from the headquarter in Kochi.
Many of its branches are in tier 2,3 & 4 towns and they can be immediately converted into a full-fledged bank branches. Muthoot said 4,200 branches, large existing customer base and strong brand image makes it an eligible candidate.
With 74 years in gold financing, the company has over 4,200 gold loan outlets across 21 states and four Union territories, and employee strength of over 25,000 with a gold loan portfolio over Rs 26,000 crore as of last fiscal.
"With our last mile connect in to the hinterland, a banking licence will enable us to play a larger role of financial inclusion by taking these services to the unbanked and undeserved population of the country," Muthoot further said, adding that around 60 per cent his existing branch network is spread across tier 2, 3 and 4 markets.
On whether the company will continue with the gold loan business if it gets a banking licence, he said there is no question of shutting that down as there is no regulatory requirement to shut down the existing business.
About meeting the funds requirement for the banking foray, he said arranging Rs 500 crore, which is the RBI prescribed net-worth for bank holding company, will not be difficult.
Muthoot Finance and 25 other companies, including Tatas, Reliance, Birla and India Post, have applied for bank license.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit