Muzaffarnagar riots: 245 persons arrested so far
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul Gandhi tells Narendra Modi: 'Ullu' banana band karo
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: Malinga draws first blood for MI, castles Gambhir
Nearly 250 people have been arrested so far in connection with the September riots in Muzaffarnagar and neighbouring areas, police said on Monday.
The Uttar Pradesh constituted Special Investigation Team (SIT) had asked local police to arrest over 300 accused in different riot cases, out of which 245 have been arrested, said H N Singh, SSP, Muzaffarnagar.
Meanwhile, SIT sources said that the team has completed its investigation in more than ten cases of riots in affected villages including Kutba, Bahawdi, Purbaliyan, Phugana, Lank and Kharad, but the chargesheets have not been filed in the court as the accused have not been arrested.
SIT is investigating a total of 571 cases in which 6,386 people were named, including 538 cases of Muzaffarnagar, 27 of Shamli, two of Baghpat, one of Meerut and Saharanpur each.
Over 60 people were killed and thousands left homeless during the riots in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in September.