Muzaffarnagar riots: SC orders UP to prevent further death of children in relief camps
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Asking the Uttar Pradesh government to "ascertain the correctness" of reports of deaths of children in the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli, the Supreme Court on Thursday directed that "immediate" remedial measures should be taken to provide for the cold winter months.
"More than a month ago, we passed a detailed order that all the necessary materials should be made available to the inmates of relief camps, especially children and women. In spite of our order, such things are still happening. We read it in the newspapers and the parliament has also taken up the issue of children's death. We want to ascertain if it is correct," said a bench led by Chief Justice P Sathasivam.
The bench directed the state administration to provide all the basic amenities, including blankets and required medicines, to the people living in the relief camps, preferably by Friday.
"We direct the state to ascertain the correctness of the reports... and file the report on the next date of hearing, on January 21... we also direct the Uttar Pradesh government and district administration to provide all necessary materials to the inmates, particularly children," said the bench.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express