Muzaffarnagar violence: SC agrees to hear PIL for CBI probe
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mulayam Singh files nomination from Azamgarh; Third FIR against Giriraj Singh
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: SRH field first, Pathan comes in for Ishant
The Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to give an urgent hearing to a PIL seeking CBI probe into the communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and for ensuring safe passage to people stuck due to clashes.
A bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi, before whom the matter was mentioned, posted the hearing for Thursday.
The PIL has been filed by Mohammed Haroon and others seeking court's direction to the Centre and Uttar Pradesh government to find out the reason behind the communal clashes in the state and to take immediate steps to control the violence.
The PIL also sought that the affected persons should be properly rehabilitated and the culprits behind the incident most be brought to book.
The petitioners alleged that houses of around 20,000 people have been burnt and they must be provided temporary shelter and food and medicines be also supplied to the
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready