Nagaland Congress candidate and MLA dies
- Moga molestation case: Family refuses to cremate victim, seeks cancellation of bus firm's permit
- Ramdev rebuts Opposition, says his medicine doesn't promise male child
- Economic policy 'directionless', minorities anxious: Shourie on Modi government
- Six Baltimore officers face murder charges in black man shooting
- 'All of a sudden, I saw light': Nepal earthquake survivor recounts rescue
Congress candidate and MLA of Tuensang Sadar-II Assembly constituency, P Chuba, died here this morning, party sources said. Chang died following a brief illness at a hospital in Kohima this morning, Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee, general secretary (admn) Medokul Sophie told PTI.
Nagaland Assembly polls will be held tomorrow. Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer of Nagaland, J Alam told PTI that as a result of the sudden death of the Congress candidate, polls for Tuensang Sadar-II seat will be withheld now. He said Congress party would be given the opportunity to field another candidate within seven days and after that polling would be conducted in the constituency. A funeral service was held at Chang Baptist Church, Kohima for the eternal peace of the departed soul. The last rites of Chang will be held in his village in Tuensang, Sophie said.
He had been Congress MLA from the constituency since 1998 and had been a minister during the then Congress regime. The NPCC has also conveyed condolences to the bereaved families.
Ruling NPF candidate Elam Chang and Independent candidate Poyang Changkong Chang are the two other candidates for the constituency.