Nagaland poll: 85 of 188 candidates crorepatis
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul compares Modi with Hitler, says Gujarat CM behaves arrogantly
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
As many as 85 of the 188 candidates in fray for the February 23 Assembly elections in Nagaland have property valued at crores of rupees, according to an NGO.
Of the 81 crorepati candidates, 40 are from the ruling Naga People's Front (NPF), 24 from opposition Congress and 17 independents, according to Nagaland Election 2013 Watch.
The analysis was made on the basis of the assets filed by the candidates in their nomination papers, Association for Democratic Reforms national coordinator Anil Bairwal and YouthNet director Hekhani Jakhalu, who made the survey said today.
K L Chishi, former chief minister and Congress candidate from Dimapur-I, is the richest with movable and immovable assets totalling Rs 50.19 crore. He is followed by Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, who is NPF candidate from Northern Angami-II seat, with assets totalling Rs 30.07 crore.
Third in the list is Congress candidate I Imkong from
Jangpetkong constituency with assets of Rs 18.23 crore. In the 2008 elections, ofthe 218 candidates in the fray, there were only 58 crorepati candidates.The top three candidates with highest growth in assets during the last five years (2008-2013) is led by Rio with a declared increase of Rs 23.83 crore, i.e, Rs 6.23 crore in 2008 to Rs 30.07 crore in 2013.
Bairwal said in 2008, Rio had not provided information related to the value of deposits in five bank accounts and three insurance policies.
Opposition leader contesting from Dimapur-II A/C has increased his assets from Rs 2.25 crore in 2008 to Rs 13.74 crore in 2013. In 2008, Tokheho had not provided information related to the value of four insurance policies and two motor vehicles.
Another Congress candidate from Phomching seat, K Konngam Konyak, is among the top three crorepatis with an asset of Rs 10.62 crore (Rs. 31.50 lakh in 2008 to Rs 10.94 crore now).
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express