Naib Tehsildar dies, daughters light his pyre
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath to Lucknow
- TRS rules out alliance with Congress in LS, assembly polls
- SC stays death penalty of two Delhi gang-rape convicts till March 31
- AICC spokesman lashes out against PM's silence and negative publicity
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
Paramjit Singh Guram, Naib Tehsildar holding dual charge of Dhuri and Malerkotla Sub-Division, died after a brief illness on Saturday. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.
In a first-of-its-kind act, the population of Bharthala village, falling in Samrala district, came out in huge numbers urging the girls to light the pyre of their father. Acting on their advice, the two daughters, Gulnaaz Gurum and Aksrupreet Guram, in the presence of almost the entire village and many prominent personalities lit the pyre.
The wreath on behalf of the state government was placed by Kumar Rahul, Deputy Commissioner, Sangrur. In addition, the other imminent personalities who attended the funeral included Dhuri MLA Ajaib Singh, Congress MLA from Samrala Amrik Singh Dhillon, eminent educationist Prof B S Guram, ex-DPRO Punjab Ujagar Singh, Rara Sahib head Sant Jaswant Singh, ex-minister Satwant Kaur Sandhu, ex-president of the Municipal Committee, Samrala, Kamaljeet Singh.
The bhog and antim ardas for the departed soul will be held at Bharthala village on December 9 at 1.30 pm.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy