Naib Tehsildar dies, daughters light his pyre
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
Paramjit Singh Guram, Naib Tehsildar holding dual charge of Dhuri and Malerkotla Sub-Division, died after a brief illness on Saturday. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.
In a first-of-its-kind act, the population of Bharthala village, falling in Samrala district, came out in huge numbers urging the girls to light the pyre of their father. Acting on their advice, the two daughters, Gulnaaz Gurum and Aksrupreet Guram, in the presence of almost the entire village and many prominent personalities lit the pyre.
The wreath on behalf of the state government was placed by Kumar Rahul, Deputy Commissioner, Sangrur. In addition, the other imminent personalities who attended the funeral included Dhuri MLA Ajaib Singh, Congress MLA from Samrala Amrik Singh Dhillon, eminent educationist Prof B S Guram, ex-DPRO Punjab Ujagar Singh, Rara Sahib head Sant Jaswant Singh, ex-minister Satwant Kaur Sandhu, ex-president of the Municipal Committee, Samrala, Kamaljeet Singh.
The bhog and antim ardas for the departed soul will be held at Bharthala village on December 9 at 1.30 pm.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties