Naib Tehsildar dies, daughters light his pyre
- IPL spot-fixing: Delhi court drops charges against S Sreesanth and two other cricketers
- Nitish Kumar gets back at Modi, accuses him for 'not honouring promises'
- Major decisions on revision of role of women in armed forces on the anvil: Manohar Parrikar
- Congress, TMC and BJD to seek total withdrawal of NDA's land bill
- Never sought travel documents for Lalit Modi, says Sushma Swaraj
Paramjit Singh Guram, Naib Tehsildar holding dual charge of Dhuri and Malerkotla Sub-Division, died after a brief illness on Saturday. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.
In a first-of-its-kind act, the population of Bharthala village, falling in Samrala district, came out in huge numbers urging the girls to light the pyre of their father. Acting on their advice, the two daughters, Gulnaaz Gurum and Aksrupreet Guram, in the presence of almost the entire village and many prominent personalities lit the pyre.
The wreath on behalf of the state government was placed by Kumar Rahul, Deputy Commissioner, Sangrur. In addition, the other imminent personalities who attended the funeral included Dhuri MLA Ajaib Singh, Congress MLA from Samrala Amrik Singh Dhillon, eminent educationist Prof B S Guram, ex-DPRO Punjab Ujagar Singh, Rara Sahib head Sant Jaswant Singh, ex-minister Satwant Kaur Sandhu, ex-president of the Municipal Committee, Samrala, Kamaljeet Singh.
The bhog and antim ardas for the departed soul will be held at Bharthala village on December 9 at 1.30 pm.