Naib Tehsildar dies, daughters light his pyre
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi says poverty is a 'tourist destination' for Rahul
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
Paramjit Singh Guram, Naib Tehsildar holding dual charge of Dhuri and Malerkotla Sub-Division, died after a brief illness on Saturday. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.
In a first-of-its-kind act, the population of Bharthala village, falling in Samrala district, came out in huge numbers urging the girls to light the pyre of their father. Acting on their advice, the two daughters, Gulnaaz Gurum and Aksrupreet Guram, in the presence of almost the entire village and many prominent personalities lit the pyre.
The wreath on behalf of the state government was placed by Kumar Rahul, Deputy Commissioner, Sangrur. In addition, the other imminent personalities who attended the funeral included Dhuri MLA Ajaib Singh, Congress MLA from Samrala Amrik Singh Dhillon, eminent educationist Prof B S Guram, ex-DPRO Punjab Ujagar Singh, Rara Sahib head Sant Jaswant Singh, ex-minister Satwant Kaur Sandhu, ex-president of the Municipal Committee, Samrala, Kamaljeet Singh.
The bhog and antim ardas for the departed soul will be held at Bharthala village on December 9 at 1.30 pm.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota