Naked man brings London to standstill
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
A naked man brought parts of central London to a standstill today after he installed himself on a statue near Prime Minister David Cameron's office for nearly three hours.
He braved the November cold and gawking crowds to straddle the monument to Prince George, a 19th century military chief and one-time Duke of Cambridge, adopting various poses including balancing precariously on the prince's head.
Police were called to the statue on Whitehall, the street on which many government offices including Cameron's Downing Street residence are located, after reports that a man had climbed up and might have had a knife.
From midday to about 3pm, police cordoned off the area as they tried to persuade him to come down. Finally they got him into a police van, where he was detained under the Mental Health Act, police said.