Namdhari’s home raided, weapons recovered
- Vote Supriya or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- India to pay Russia for arms, ammo it sells to Afghanistan
Sachin Tyagi released, asked to join probe, not given clean chit
The .30 bore 7.62 mm pistol used in the crossfire at Chhattarpur farmhouse on November 17 allegedly by sacked chairman of Uttarakhand Minorities Commission, Sukhdev Singh Namdhari, was recovered on Monday. Liquor baron Gurdeep Singh Chadha alias Ponty and his brother Hardeep were killed in the shootout.
A Crime Branch team took Namdhari, who was arrested on Friday, to his hometown in Bazpur, Uttarakhand, on Sunday morning. Sources said on Namdhari's instance, the pistol was recovered from his farmhouse in Bazpur. A double barrel gun was also found at his residence in Uddham Singh Nagar district.
Investigating officers said Namdhari claims he fired three shots in self-defence, but had not killed Hardeep. He told police that Hardeep was shot by his personal security officer (PSO) Sachin Tyagi, in self-defence.
Sources in the Crime Branch said police are looking for one Hardayal alias Mamaji, known to be a close aide of Namdhari.
The Crime Branch team and Namdhari will stay on in Uttarakhand. Police want to trace some of Namdhari's key associates. According to police, Namdhari was instrumental in evicting Hardeep's men from the Chhattarpur farmhouse on November 17. Ponty, police said, wanted to wrest control of the farmhouse before starting any mediation talks with Hardeep.
"Namdhari's close associates were involved in grabbing the farmhouse from Hardeep. Many of them fled the city after the incident. Mamaji is one of them and was at the spot on the day of the incident. His role in the firing will be probed once we trace him," a senior police officer said.
Namdhari's PSO Tyagi has been released from the Mehrauli police station and asked to join investigations. Crime Branch officers said Tyagi is in touch with them and has been asked to come for questioning whenever required. He has been asked to stay close to Sector-18 in Rohini where Crime Branch special team's office is located.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer