Nanavati Commission seeks 'more time' to submit report
- In Karnataka, Modi hits back at Rahul over balloon jibe on Gujarat model, asks if he trusts Sonia
- 'Deeply saddened' over his expulsion, Jaswant Singh says BJP has lost its vision
- Sabir Ali steps up attack on Naqvi, says the BJP leader should prove allegations or apologise
- Five pending cases against Congress' Imran Masood
- ICC World Twenty20: Yuvraj Singh, Ashwin make it 4/4
The Gujarat government-appointed Nanavati-Mehta Commission, that is probing the 2002 Godhra carnage and subsequent communal riots in the state, has demanded another extension from the government to prepare and submit its report. A senior official of the Home Department said the Commission has not sought any specific time for the extension and has only demanded "some more time". The government was considering the issue and may come out with a notification in this regard soon, the official said.
The Commission was constituted on March 6, 2002 to probe into the Godhra carnage on February 27, 2002 . So far, it has been granted around 18 extensions by the Gujarat government. Earlier, on June 29 this year, the Commission was granted an extension till December 31 to submit its report.
A senior Home Department official said that the Commission has sought "some more time" to prepare its report. "The government is considering the same and a notification in this regard will be issued accordingly," said the Home Department official.
The Commission has already given its first report pertaining to the burning of the S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express in which 59 karsevaks were killed near Godhra railway station on February 27, 2002. The Commission had called the incident as a "pre-planned conspiracy involving some individuals".
In the report, the Commission had clarified that "...there is absolutely no evidence to show that either the Chief Minister and/or any other Minister(s) in his Council of Ministers or Police Officers had played any role in the Godhra incident." It also went on to give clean chit to the state government on what followed.
The Commission was appointed shortly after the riots. Initially, the Commission consisted of Justices (Retired) G T Nanavati and K G Shah. However, following Shah's death in March 2008, Justice (Retired) Akshay Mehta was appointed as the second member of the Commission.