Narendra Modi and Congress are brothers: Mamata Banerjee
- Turkey twin blasts: At least 86 killed, 186 injured; PM says attack could be suicide bombings
- I have become a victim of party's internal politics, says sacked AAP minister Asim Ahmed
- Now, Malayalam novelist Sarah Joseph returns her Sahitya Academy award
- Nawaz Sharif invites Hurriyat leader Geelani to Pakistan
- Indrani Mukerjea collapsed due to weakness; no drug overdose or poison, say jail authorities
Narendra Modi and Congress are "brothers" and two sides of a same coin, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said while asserting that only a person who is loved by all sections of people could be a national leader. "Both Narendra Modi and Congress are brothers. Congress and Modi are both sides of a same coin," Banerjee said while addressing a panchayat election rally at Berhampore in Murshidabad district.
Training her guns on Congress, she said "Whenever elections come knocking at the doors, Congress starts its propaganda by saying that Muslims should unite as Narendra Modi is coming. "It has been ten years since the Gujarat riots, but Congress tries to rake up the riot-issue just before the polls and forget it when polls are not held," she said.
Earlier in the day, while addressing another rally in Nadia district, Mamata said "There are national leaders who love all sections of people and not just one particular section. Ramakrishna had said some call mother 'ma' and some 'amma'. "In 1905, Rabindranath Tagore gave a call for Hindu-Muslim unity. Today Rabindranath and Kazi Nazrul Islam are weeping," she said.
Banerjee said, the Centre was continuing schemes named after Rajiv and Indira Gandhi whom she admired, but questioned "How many projects are named after Swami Vivekananda and Kazi Nazrul Islam?" Congress should be ashamed to seek votes after repeatedly raising the prices of petrol, diesel and fertiliser, she said adding, she had quit Congress "as the party was sold out to CPI(M)".