Narendra Modi comes in for praise from Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal
- Days before Yasin Bhatkal was arrested, it was Monu who âdeliveredâ Rs 1 lakh cash to his wife
- MH370 search suspended due to bad weather
- Maoists blow up mobile towers ahead of Narendra Modi rally in Bihar
- Rahul reminds BJP of 2004, says its campaign bubble will burst
- Election 2014 LIVE: CPI hits out at Modi over Kejriwal remark; Will Uma contest against Sonia?
Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal today showered praise on Chief Minister Narendra Modi and said that under his "resolute leadership", the state gave a "new direction" to the entire country for progress and good governance.
"Gujarat has now become a torch-bearer in carving out a concrete path to progress by bringing about a positive change in the mindset of the entire nation," she said in her speech addressing the inaugural session of the new assembly here.
"The state has also achieved the distinction of showing a new direction to the entire country for progress and building a great nation through translating the approach of good governance into reality," she added.
The Governor, who had been at loggerheads with the Modi government on appointment of Lokayukta, also commended the 'glorious tradition and strong character' of the state and said "people of the state have recently put their stamp of support and acceptance on the performance of my government which has displayed utmost sincerity to the people with diligence and delivered results."
Congratulating all new members of the House and particulary Modi, she said "I heartily congratulate the determined people of Gujarat, all new members of the Assembly and particularly the Chief Minister who has been consistently providing efficient and resolute leadership to the state for a period of 11 years."
On Modi's Sadbhavana Mission, she said "this has helped in building peace, unity and unprecedented harmony in the state. This is a glorious chapter in the history of the nation."
In her concluding remarks, she said "my government is fully determined to harness the competence and potential of six crore Gujaratis for development and create a global image of Gujarat."
Today, before concluding the one-day session, the Speaker put the motion, thanking the Governor for the address, before the House, which will be taken up for voting on the first day of the budget session beginning February 20.
- Green chilli, chappals and stethoscope among 85 free symbols for Independent candidates
- Politicking peaks to new high in Maval: 3 Jagtaps, 2 Barnes jump into fray
- After Chavan’s pep talk, sulking Nimhan joins Cong-NCP poll campaign
- Keep country free of communalism, BJP and Modi: Pawar to voters
- I-League: Mehta goal keeps East Bengal at bay
- The Covered Girl